• Pancake Day Board
International Pancake Day isn’t just about the race, it’s also about cooking up some pancakes, or anything made with pancake mix. Entries are now being accepted for the annual Pancake Day cooking/recipe contest, with a total of cash and prizes valued at more than $400 to be awarded to the winners. The contest is open to anyone age 12 or older living within a 70-mile radius of Liberal.
Entrants are to create a unique dish using any type of pancake mix. The dish can be savory or sweet, a main, side, or dessert dish, a twist on traditional pancakes, or something totally the opposite of the “pancake” concept, as long as all rules are followed.
Prizes will be awarded for first, second, and third place, with entries judged on taste, originality and creativity, use of product and appetite appeal.
Those interested may download an entry form and rules from the website: www.pancake.net or pick up entry forms at the Pancake Hall of Fame, 318 N. Lincoln. Entries may be emailed to JoAnn Combs at
or turned in at the Hall of Fame. The deadline to enter is 5 p.m. Feb. 26. Contestants will be given a copy of the contest rules when they register or may download them from the website. Judging will take place on March 1 at the Seward County Event Center. Entrants must prepare their dishes ahead of time and bring them to the Event Center between 9:45 to 10:15 a.m. on March 1. The public is invited to attend and to sample the dishes after winners are announced.
For more information on any Pancake Day event, call Jo Ann Combs at 620-624-6423, visit the web site at www.pancakeday.net or find International Pancake Day on Facebook.
2014 OFFICIAL RULES
• Pancake Day Board
Eligibility: The Pancake Day Cooking/Recipe Contest (the “Contest”) is open to anyone who resides in Liberal or with in a 70 mile radius of Liberal and is with in the age specifications for category listed. Members of the International Pancake Day of Liberal, Inc. Board of Directors, immediate family and household members are not eligible to participate.
Sponsor: International Pancake Day of Liberal, Inc.
Agreement to Official Rules: By participating in the Contest, each entrant unconditionally accepts these Official Rules and decisions of the Sponsor, which are final and binding.
Entry Timing: The contestants will register in person at the Hall of Fame, 318 N. Lincoln, hours are Monday – Friday 10- 4, closed 1-2 for lunch. The Official Rules and Entry Form are also available on our website. All registrations will end at 5 p. m. on Wednesday, Feb. 26. A copy of the official rules will be given to each contestant.
Judging Criteria and Process: Entries must be original, not previously published nor have won any other award. Each eligible, conforming entry will be evaluated using the following criteria, weighted on basis of: Taste (40 percent), originality/creativity (25 percent), and use of product (25 percent) and appetite appeal (10 percent).
All entries must be brought to the Seward County Event Center, 810 Stadium Rd. Liberal on Saturday, March 1, for judging.
All entries must be checked in no earlier than 9:45 a.m., no later than 10:15 a.m. No late entries will be accepted.
When you turn your selection in, please include the complete recipe printed out legibly on an index card.
Do not identify your entry with your name. You will be assigned a number when you register that will identify your entry. All contestants must remain present for the entirety of the judging.
All decisions by the judges are final.
Rewards: The winners of the contest will be recognized locally by various media and will be the guest of the International Pancake Day Board of Directors at all events throughout Pancake Day 2014.
• Entry must include pancake mix, store bought or from scratch, and must be a primary ingredient.
• Name your recipe using words that describe it accurately. Do not use fanciful names that infringe on trademarks.
• List all of the ingredients in the order they are used in the recipe. Use the exact measurements and package sizes of all ingredients.
• Write preparation directions in a clear and concise manor that is in complete sentences and paragraphs. Indicate the size of all bowls, pans or any other preparation elements.
• Include every ingredient that you list in your directions.
• Indicate exact cooking times and temperatures. If appropriate, add suggestions as to when you can tell the dish has finished cooking.
• State the number of servings that the recipe is designated to create.
• Only one entry per person. All submissions will become the property of the sponsor, and none will be acknowledged or returned. Sponsor shall have the right to edit, and publish all of the recipes submitted, and may use the recipes in any media without the attribution or compensation to the contestant, his or her successors or assigns, or any other party or entity. Submission of an entry in this contest constitutes entrant’s irrevocable assignment, conveyance and transference to the sponsor of all right, title and interest in the entry, including, without limitation, all copyrights. In additions, by entering, contestants represent and warrant that the recipes that they will submit:
• Are their own original creations.
• Do not infringe any other person’s or entity’s rights.
• Have not been submitted previously in a contest of any kind.
• Publicity: Except where prohibited, participation in the Contest constitutes winner’s consent to sponsor use of the winner’s names, likeness, voice, opinions, biographical information, hometown and state for promotional purposes in any media without further payment or consideration.
• General Conditions: Sponsors may cancel or modify the contest if fraud, or any other factor beyond their control impairs the integrity of the contest, as determination by the Sponsor in their sole discretion. Sponsor may, in their sole discretion, disqualify any individual they find to be acting in violation to these rules. sponsor’s failure to enforce any term of these Official Rules shall not constitute a waiver of that provision.
• Release: By entering this Contest, entrant agrees to release and hold harmless, the Sponsor and all of their officers, employees and agents from and against any claim or cause of action arising out of participation in the contest or receipt or use of any prize.
• Limitations of Liability: Sponsor is not responsible for any damage or injury to persons or property which may be caused, directly or indirectly, in whole or in part, from entrant’s participation in the contest.