By EARL WATT
• Leader & Times
Of the 58,000 names inscribed on the Vietnam Memorial, 16 are from Liberal.
A new Educational Center is being constructed to provide information about the conflict in Vietnam as well as to remember the fallen who gave their lives in the ongoing struggle for freedom.
A Wall of Faces will be included in the new Educational Center as well as online, but six photos of local veterans who made the ultimate sacrifice in Vietnam are missing from the collection, and the Leader&Times, in conjuction with the Kansas Press Assocation, is trying to locate those photos with the help of the community.
Photos of these honored veterans in their uniforms is preferred, but any substitute photograph would also be helpful.
The photos will be sent to the Vietnam Veterans Memorial to be included on the Wall of Faces.
The six local Vietnam soldiers that are missing are:
• Allen R. Bradford, died May 7, 1968, born Jan. 1, 1947;
• George L. Cruse, died May 2, 1968, born Oct. 5, 1947;
• Eldon D. Long, died March 10, 1966, born Sept. 6, 1944;
• Larry D. Warren died April 16, 1968, born Oct. 31, 1947;
• Russell D. Welchel, died Sept. 7, 1967, born July 19, 1947; and,
• John E. Winters, died Oct. 30, 1970, born Feb. 26, 1937.
If anyone has information on how to obtain a photo of these soldiers, please contact the Leader&Times by calling (620) 626-0840 during regular business hours, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday, or email the paper at
Once these six are retrieved, all of those who paid the ultimate price for freedom that called Liberal home will be included in the project.